Southwest Louisiana attorneys take on a wide array of commercial disputes
Stockwell, Sievert, Viccellio, Clements & Shaddock, L.L.P. represents clients from Louisiana and around the country in a wide array of business and commercial litigation matters. Since 1934, our Lake Charles firm has offered strong counsel in matters relating to contract, tort, regulatory, property, title, corporate and financial disputes.
Skillful advocates represent companies in business tort claims
Whether you’re the plaintiff or defendant, the outcome of a business tort matter can significantly alter the course of your company. We provide diligent advocacy in these matters, including claims involving allegations of:
- Fraud — Claims of intentional or negligent misrepresentation often turn on small details or individual interpretations. We represent plaintiffs and defendants in all types of business fraud litigation.
- Breach of fiduciary duty — Directors and corporate officers are legally required to act in the best interests of the company they serve. Should a question exist as to whether an executive or someone else violated this fiduciary duty, our firm conducts a thorough review of the circumstances and takes appropriate action.
- Conversion — Though a particular conversion action is not listed within the Civil Code of Louisiana, restitution and other remedies are available if someone takes unlawful possession of, and/or destroys, your movable property.
- Defamation — Our firm handles matters where an allegedly false statement is said to have harmed the reputation of a business or individual.
- Tortious interference — A third party who intentionally interferes with a contractual agreement or some other type of business relationship can be held liable. If you believe that your company was harmed because of an outsider’s actions or your firm has been accused of tortious interference, we’ll apply the existing law to the case facts.
Whether you are seeking relief after being victimized by tortious conduct or are facing potential liability based on someone’s allegation, our firm has the skill and practical knowledge to protect your interests during settlement negotiations and litigation. With decades of experience handling sophisticated matters, including banking law and insurance defense cases, we’ll explain the legal standards clearly and keep you informed on all of your options.
Firm assists businesses in breach of contract and warranty disputes
If you’re engaged in a dispute regarding the execution of an agreement, we’ll analyze the relevant documents and assert your rights during negotiations or in court. Depending on the circumstances, we litigate breach of contract actions as well as breach of warranty matters where one party seeks damages based on the ostensible violation but not cancellation of the contract. Our firm also represents clients in repudiatory breach actions if the transgression goes to the root of the agreement and justifies termination of the contract.
Reputable lawyers advise on professional liability concerns
Doctors, lawyers and other professionals occupy positions of great trust. When the people they serve don’t get the results they want, questions sometimes arise as to whether professional standards were violated. In legal malpractice actions and other professional liability matters, we provide comprehensive counsel to defendants, insurers and plaintiffs so that they understand the merits of a potential claim and make informed decisions to protect their interests.
Accomplished toxic tort defense attorneys protect clients’ interests
Claims involving dangerous pollutants could be an enormous drain on resources even if little evidence exists to connect a business to the alleged harm. The prominence of the energy industry in Louisiana increases the possibility of large-scale toxic tort litigation. We have the experience in these matters to marshal the legal and scientific arguments necessary to combat unwarranted accusations aggressively and limit the liability that companies face.
Contact a diligent Louisiana business litigator to discuss your matter
Stockwell, Sievert, Viccellio, Clements & Shaddock, L.L.P. advocates on behalf of businesses in all types of Louisiana legal disputes. For information regarding our services, please call our Lake Charles firm at 337-436-9491 or contact us online.